Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Meniere's Disease

I have been just diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. It makes sense I have had the systems before with no diagnoses or resolution and then they just went a away and I moved country and forgot about it.

Now it's come back and I finally know what's wrong now I feel I can learn to deal with it instead of getting depressed and stop exercising. Which is what my natural inclination would be to do. As I am typing this I feel like I just want to curl up in bed and sleep.

So excuse now I am going to do some indoor walking as its too cold outside.

"
Exercise helps the balance system recover faster. The exercise must involve walking or running in order to improve coordination; stationary bikes and treadmills will not help..........
Exercise, ........ is the single best therapy for these symptoms. Initially it may cause increased vertigo but that is not harmful. Occasionally, physical therapy is recommended for patients who can not exercise enough on their own." Lahey Clinic

Here is our definition:

  • "Classic" (typical) Meniere's Disease is the term given to the condition having the following four symptoms, after thorough testing has determined no other cause:

    • Episodic, fluctuating hearing loss.

    • Episodic, fluctuating rotational vertigo (a form of dizziness).

    • Episodic, fluctuating tinnitus (a sound heard when there is no sound).

    • Episodic, fluctuating aural fullness (a sense of air pressure in the middle ear, as if descending in an airplane; however, it is *not* actual air pressure in the middle ear; Meniere's Disease does not affect the middle ear). http://www.menieresinfo.com/start.html

2 comments:

Meniere's Disease said...

If you have Meniere's Disease, don't under estimate the power of a healthy diet, high in fresh veggies and fruits and low in sodium, saturated fats, and sugar.

As rightly commented above also, exercise can help by getting the blood pumping more smoothly through your body and therefore your inner ear.

Kenley said...

Great Post! I was diagnosed with Meniere's Disease. I have taken up running and have watched my diet. I just have fullness in my ear every now and then. My last vertigo attack was 2001. Other than than, I wouldnt know I had it now. Great Blog!