Monday, October 6, 2008

Cooking Apples

I was given some cooking apples and I have been looking for low fat/low Gi recipes. I made apple crumble this past weekend for the first time but it did not fall into either of these categories , it was for a potluck so I figured i was safe (in that I would not eat it all). I have actually never been an apple tart fan.

This recipe looks good (not sure its really low 7g fat- if I remember correctly it has to be 5g/100g to considered that but I guess its musch lower than a normal muffin)- not quite sure what they mean my wholegrain breakfast cereal - I am guessing anything like wholegrain sheddies, weetbix or soemthing like that.

Vanilla Apple Muffins (from Sanitarium Recipes)
2 cups wholegrain breakfast cereal

2 cups wholemeal self-raising flour

2 apples, cored and diced

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup canola oil

1 egg, lightly beaten1 cup

low fat soy milk

2 teaspoons vanilla essence

Combine cereal and flour in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre.
Add remaining ingredients and mix until just combined.
Spoon into a lightly greased 12 cup capacity muffin tray and bake at 180ÂșC for 20-30 minutes or until golden.
Makes 12

Per serve:

760 kilojoules (180 calories).

Protein 4g.Fat 7g.Carbohydrate 27g.Sodium 160mg.

Potassium 140mg.Calcium 40mg.Iron 1mg.Fibre 3g

0 comments: